Anyone who has suffered with arthritis can attest to the severity of pain and stiffness this disease can cause. Osteoarthritis, the most common form of joint disease, weakens and breaks down cartilage and bone, causing pain as bones rub together.
Additionally, traumatic injuries, other diseases such as osteonecrosis, or simply years of use may cause a joint to wear away. This can cause pain, stiffness, and swelling.
Today, there is help for those who have severe pain or disability due to the breakdown of cartilage and bone. Total joint replacement, particularly of the knees and hips, has demonstrated to be an extremely successful type of surgical procedure in relieving pain and providing good mobility for patients of all ages.
At Elite Ortho Surgeons our goal is to offer the most sophisticated medical and surgical technologies aimed at improving quality of life. Our patient centered approach means that our specialists provide a personalized treatment plan tailored to allow individuals to return to a normal lifestyle and eliminate pain. Our team consists of pioneers and foremost experts in the field of joint replacement.
We also offer novel approaches to manage and minimize pain associated with total joint replacement surgeries. Pain management actually begins before surgery. Patients take medications to reduce pain prior to surgery and pain medications are injected directly into the hip or knee joint. The goal is to reduce pain, facilitate physical therapy and return patients to an active lifestyle as soon as possible.
The first three days after major joint replacement surgery used to be very painful. However with the modern pain management protocol our patients start mobilizing from the same day of operation.
Elite Ortho Surgeons conducts the following procedures on a regular basis :
- Knee Replacement Surgery (Total as well as Partial)
- Primary and Revision
- Conventional and Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Ligament Preserving Knee Replacement
- Hip Replacement Surgery
- Surface Hip Replacement
- Partial and Total Hip Replacement
- Elbow Replacement (Primary and Revision)
- Shoulder Replacement Surgery (Partial and Total Replacement)
- Replacement of joints of hand like the wrist joints as well as the big toe joint
- Arthroscopic Surgeries of Knees and Shoulder joints and ligament reconstructions
- Surgeries of the spine for treating problems of the disc, infection, trauma and other deformities including disc replacement surgery.
Elite Ortho Surgeons, Hyderabad provides joint replacement surgery performed by a team of physicians and medical specialists using the most modern medical tools and technologies. We place great emphasis on providing world class standards of care at every stage of the treatment process, from patient registration to following up on post-procedure results. This commitment enables us to meet our most important goal of patient satisfaction by first ensuring patient safety and then meeting each patient’s post-surgery expectations in terms of a speedy recovery, minimal post-op pain, improved knee function, the ability to return to most of their normal activities, and the freedom to enjoy their lives fully again.
Computer-assisted surgery (computer navigation)
With surgical navigation technology, a surgeon uses a wireless tracker to send information about the precise individual anatomy of the patient’s knee to the computer system through real-time data processing which enables the surgeon to make immediate evaluations during surgery.
Advantages of Joint Replacement with Computer Navigation
- Prevent or reduce improper joint alignment and allow more precise placement than with standard instrumentation
- Enable surgeons to evaluate the precision of the placement at the time of the surgery thus extending the longevity of the replacement joint
- Achieve an accurate soft tissue balance at the time of the surgery thus improving post-operative knee functionality
- Enable the placement of the implant through a small incision, thus reducing post-operative pain and speeding up the recovery process
Robotic Arm Assisted Joint Replacement Surgery
Combining the efficiency of this technology with the expertise and experience of our specialist team of doctors, robotic arm assisted surgery allows the surgeon to place the artificial joint with greater precision. This lengthens the usage lifespan of the artificial joint.
Advantages of Joint Replacement with a Robotic Arm
- Precise artificial joint placement results in less soft tissue trauma and minimal bone resection.
- Artificial knee and hip joints last longer than when implanted with other techniques.
- The patient is generally able to return home quickly, with as little as one day but no more than three days of hospital recovery time needed.
- In knee replacement surgery, the patient will be able to move their knee naturally since the tendons at the front and behind the knees as well as the surrounding cartilage are not affected during the procedure.
- By performing surgery through the small incision of the minimally invasive surgical technique, the robotic arm enables the surgeon to remove and shave off only the necessary parts of the bone, thus reducing pain and speeding up the recovery process.
Advantages of Minimally Invasive Surgical Technique
- Smaller incision than with conventional surgery results in less soft tissue trauma and less scarring
- Less pain when compared with traditional joint replacement methods
- Patient generally able to walk within 24 hours after surgery
- Increased patient safety through less blood loss
- Shorter hospital stay and quicker recovery
Care of Patients
- Patients attend a pre-operative class to fully understand the treatment process before, during and after the procedure. Patients are also advised on their post-operative behavior, with these recommendations tailored to correspond to each patient’s daily life and routine activities.
- Patients are placed under general anesthesia that does not contain morphine, when possible, to reduce the risk of any possible adverse effects, such as nausea, vomiting, and dizziness, which in turn allows faster recovery after surgery.
- We take every effort to prevent any adverse effects from the surgery, such as thrombosis and infection.
- In choosing medical tools and equipment, safety is our priority. For example, our surgeons’ operating gowns are designed to prevent infection.
- Our rehabilitation medicine specialists and physical therapists provide recommendations regarding self-care as well as physical therapy and rehabilitative activities that meet the same standards.
- We conduct ongoing and periodical follow-ups on the results of the surgery.